Dependent Care Spending Account
Eligible Dependent Care Expenses
A dependent care spending account can be used to pay eligible expenses incurred for a qualifying dependent that enable you and your spouse, if you are married, to work.
A "qualifying dependent" includes:
- A child under age 13 whom you claim as a dependent for federal income tax purposes
- A spouse who is mentally or physically incapable of caring for himself/herself
- Any other adult family member who resides with you, who is mentally or physically incapable of caring for himself/herself and whom you claims as a dependent for federal tax purposes.
The following expenses generally are eligible for reimbursement:
- Services provided outside your home by a babysitter or a licensed day care center or nursery school.
- Services provided in your home by a babysitter, nanny, housekeeper, etc. whose services include providing care for your qualifying dependent. Eligible expenses include wages paid to the service provider, but not household expenses such as the cost of food.
Minneflex dependent care claims can be sent directly to WageWorks using the WageWorks Pay Me Back Form - Dependent Care. To view claims and balance information, you can view your account at www.wageworks.com.
Eligible expenses are the same as those that qualify for the federal child and dependent care tax credit. However, you cannot claim the tax credit and use the spending account for the same dependent care expenses. For more information, review pages 8-9 of the City of Minneapolis Minneflex Summary Plan Description.
Last updated Aug. 28, 2013