Initial Benefits Enrollment
Most employees are eligible for City sponsored benefits on the first day of the month following 30 days of employment. Waiting periods and participation start dates can be found in the policy or collective bargaining agreement governing your employment.
How to Enroll
You may enroll online using the COMET system. Under the self-service tab, select "Benefits" and then "Benefits Enrollment." You should enroll as soon as possible to ensure you have coverage on the effective date shown on your form.
Who is Eligible to Enroll
Medical and Dental Insurance
- Your spouse – the person to whom you are legally married,
- Your children under age 26,
- Your disabled children of any age.
The term "children" includes:
- Natural children, step children, adopted children and legal wards,
- Grandchildren who reside with you continuously from birth and are financially dependent upon you.
During the initial enrollment period, you may also enroll for optional and dependent life insurance. Optional life insurance allows you to supplement the basic life insurance provided by the City. Dependent life insurance provides $5,000 coverage for each eligible dependent. For details, see the life insurance webpage.
Last updated Sep 9, 2019