Free Services and Discounts
Employee Assistance Program
The City of Minneapolis’ employee benefits package includes access to a confidential service that provides counseling services to help you or your family members deal with financial, legal, work-related, and relationship issues through an Employee Assistance Program. Examples of the wide array services include: free consultation with an attorney, help finding child or elder care, advice from a financial professional, or support on how to live with a chronic health condition.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is offered through Medica, and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Services are available by phone, online, or through in-person appointments. You can reach the EAP counseling hotline at 1-800-626-7944. Additional information is available at www.liveandworkwell.com (access code: medica).
Free Programs Through Cigna
Cigna, the City’s provider of employee group life, accident and disability coverage offers several free programs for City employees. Using these programs can save employees time and money.
- Identity Theft Protection: Victims of identity theft often go through a cumbersome, time-intensive process to restore thier credit records. Cigna's identity theft program is available to help if this serious crime impacts you. If you suspect you might be a victim of identity theft, call 1-888-886-4567 and indicate that you are a member of Cigna's identity theft program and group #57.
- Will Preparation Services: Planning in advance helps relieve uncertainties for family members and ensures your wishes are known. Use Cigna's free online will preparation service to create important legal documents, such as last will and testament, living will, health care power of attorney, finanical power of attorney and more. Go to CignaWillCenter.com to get started.
- Travel Protection: Cigna Secure Travel can help cover you in case of emergency when you are traveling over 100 miles from home. To take advantage of these services, call 1-888-226-4567. The Policy information is as follows: Policyholder: the City of Minneapolis, policy #: OK 963645 and Group #57.
Discounts on Entertainment, Products, and Services through MERSC
City of Minneapolis employees and retirees, as well as their immediate family members, are eligible for discounts on entertainment, theater tickets, and other products and services. Discounts are offered by Minnesota Employee Recreation & Services Council (MERSC).
Health Club Discounts
City of Minneapolis employees are eligible for special health club discounts at these health clubs:
- Life Time Fitness
- Snap Fitness
- CorePower Yoga
- 501 Fit
- Ivy Spa and Fitness Club
Save on Tuition at St. Mary's, Augsburg
City employees get discounted tuition and waived application fees at St. Mary’s University of Minnesota and Augsburg College. You can begin taking advantage of these new educational partnerships for the 2016 winter semester.
- St. Mary's University of Minnesota: City employees receive 10 percent off all online and classroom graduate and professional degree programs, certificate programs and individual courses at St. Mary’s University. The discount applies to current and new students. City employees will also have an expedited enrollment process.
- Augsburg College: City employees get a $50 discount per undergraduate credit for adult undergraduate degree programs and an $80 discount per graduate credit for graduate degree programs at Augsburg College. The discount applies only to new students and does not apply to certificate programs, individual courses and the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies.
The following discounts are negotiated by Information Technology, call (612) 673-3190 if you have questions about them. (The link goes to the City's Intranet and is not accessible outside the City's network.)
- Dell Computers
Last updated Feb 1, 2016