Free Services and Discounts
Employee Assistance Program
The City of Minneapolis’ employee benefits package includes access to a confidential service that provides counseling services to help you or your family members deal with financial, legal, work-related, and relationship issues through an Employee Assistance Program. Examples of the wide array services include: free consultation with an attorney, help finding child or elder care, advice from a financial professional, or support on how to live with a chronic health condition.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is offered through Medica, and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Services are available by phone, online, or through in-person appointments. You can reach the EAP counseling hotline at 1-800-626-7944. Additional information is available at www.liveandworkwell.com (access code: medica).
Free Programs Through Cigna
Cigna, the City’s provider of employee group life, accident and disability coverage offers several free programs for City employees. Using these programs can save employees time and money.
- Identity Theft Protection: Victims of identity theft often go through a cumbersome, time-intensive process to restore their credit records. Cigna's identity theft program is available to help if this serious crime impacts you. If you suspect you might be a victim of identity theft, call 1-888-226-4567 and indicate that you are a member of Cigna's identity theft program and group #57.
- Will Preparation Services: Planning in advance helps relieve uncertainties for family members and ensures your wishes are known. Use Cigna's free online will preparation service to create important legal documents, such as last will and testament, living will, health care power of attorney, financial power of attorney and more. Go to CignaWillCenter.com to get started.
- Travel Protection: Cigna Secure Travel can help cover you in case of emergency when you are traveling over 100 miles from home. To take advantage of these services, call 1-888-226-4567. The Policy information is as follows: Policyholder: the City of Minneapolis, policy #: OK 963645 and Group #57.
Discounts on Entertainment, Products, and Services through MERSC
City of Minneapolis employees and retirees, as well as their immediate family members, are eligible for discounts on entertainment, theater tickets, and other products and services. Discounts are offered by Minnesota Employee Recreation & Services Council (MERSC).
City employees are eligible for a 10 percent discount on childcare at New Horizon Academy. To learn more about the New Horizon Academy, visit their website at newhorizonacademy.net or call 763-557-1111.
Health Club Discounts
City of Minneapolis employees are eligible for special health club discounts at these health clubs:
- Life Time Fitness
- Snap Fitness
- CorePower Yoga
- 501 Fit
- Ivy Spa and Fitness Club
Save on Tuition at St. Mary's, Augsburg
City employees receiving educational benefits from saint Mary's University of Minnesota and Augsburg College. Employees have the option to take advantage of these savings and enroll for the next semester.
- St. Mary's University of Minnesota: City employees receive a 10% savings on tuition and waived application fee for Schools of Graduate Professional Programs that includes: Bachelor completion, Undergraduate & Graduate Certificates, Master’s, Professional Development, Specialist, and Doctoral programs. Degree programs are offered on-campus and online.
- Augsburg College: City employees get a $50 discount per undergraduate credit for adult undergraduate degree programs and an $80 discount per graduate credit for graduate degree programs at Augsburg College. The discount applies only to new students and does not apply to certificate programs, individual courses and the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies.
- Hamline: City employees can save $800 per year (up to $1,600 total) on tuition for the Master of Public Administration and Doctorate of Public Administration programs. Application fees for the programs are waived. City employees also receive 20 percent off registration fees and tuition for events or certificates in the Center for Public Administration and Leadership.
Several companies offer discounts for City of Minneapolis employees. Learn more by visiting the Minneapolis Information Technology page.
Last updated Jan 4, 2017