Cream of Wheat Building

Individual Landmark

CW Lofts

 

 Stinson_Pkwy_730_Cream_of_Wheat_Building-1
1928

 Stinson_Pkwy_730_Cream_of_Wheat_Building-2
2006

Address: 730 Stinson Parkway

Neighborhood: Mid-City Industrial

Construction Date: 1928

Contractor:

Architect: Walter H. Wheeler

Architectural Style: Moderne

Historic Use: Industrial, Commercial

Current Use: Under Construction (2007)

Date of Local Designation: 2005

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Industrial development; Architecture

Period of Significance: 1928-2002

 

Historic Profile: The Cream of Wheat Company exemplifies the business spawned in the late nineteenth century by the Midwest’s flourishing agricultural economy. Drawn to Minneapolis by the region’s dominance in the grain-milling industry, the fledgling company grew to become a major player in the hot cereal market. A symbol of the company’s success was its 1927-28 corporate headquarters and factory at 730 Stinson Boulevard. The Cream of Wheat Building, with its prominent corner tower, is of architectural interest as well. Featuring a classic 1920s design that seamlessly incorporates office and factory uses, the building is further enhanced by its setback from Stinson Boulevard and the landscaped yards that surround it on three sides. The noteworthy design by engineer Walter H. Wheeler served the Cream of Wheat Company for several decades until Kraft Foods purchased the company and relocated it in 2002. The building is currently (February 2007) undergoing conversion into residential condo units.

Photo Credits:

1928, Charles P. Gibson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," 2005.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 22, 2011