Address: 2957 Lyndale Avenue South
Construction Date: 1888
Architect: Edgar E. Joralemon
Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Current Use: Commercial/Residential
Date of Local Designation: 1985
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area of Significance: Architecture, Commerce
Period of Significance: 1800-1899, 1900-
Historic Profile: The Crowell Block is an excellent example of the rusticated mode of the Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style. Elements of the style are apparent in the building’s massing, the rock-faced masonry facades, and the use of broad arch forms. Frank Crowell, a local real estate developer, commissioned the firm of Joralemon and Ferrin to design the building to serve as commercial and residential space. Constructed in 1888, it was the first large-scale development accompanying the expansion of the streetcar system in southwest Minneapolis. As a key architectural element on the corner of Lyndale Avenue and West Lake Street, the building’s dominance represents a visual link to the nineteenth century as well as a significant aspect of early commercial development in an expanding city.
1974, Charles Nelson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places Inventory – Nomination Form," June 1981.
Updated: February 2007
Last updated Nov. 21, 2011