George R. Newell House

Individual Landmark

 

 LaSalle_Ave_1818_George_Newell_House-1
1974

 LaSalle_Ave_1818_George_Newell_House-2
2006

Address: 1818 La Salle Avenue South

Neighborhood: Steven’s Square

Construction Date: 1888

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Charles Segwick

Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Private Residences

Date of Local Designation: 1985

Date of National Register Designation: 1977

Area(s) of Significance: Social History, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The Newell Mansion commemorates the career of a pioneering grocery merchant in Minneapolis. In 1870, George Newell helped found the grocery firm of Stevens, Morse and Newell. After his death in 1921, his son, L.B. Newell ran the company, changing the name to Super Valu. The families’ success was made evident by their large urban estate on La Salle Avenue. Constructed from Lake Superior brownstone, the mansion was designed by Charles Sedgwick in a Richardsonian Romanesque style. The powerful arches of the entrance, and elaborate porte-cochere, the size of the Flemish gables, the continuation of the design and materials in the carriage house help produce a feeling of restrained strength and dignity.

Photo Credits:

1974, Charles Nelson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," 1984.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 22, 2011