Frederick Kees and Serenus Colburn
Considered one of Minneapolis’ foremost architects and pioneering citizens, Frederick Kees came as a young man from Baltimore. Joining with Frank B. Long in 1884, the architecture firm of Long and Kees enjoyed considerable success during the building boom of the 1880s and 1890s. During that period, the Minneapolis lumber and grain industry developed into the largest in the world, prompting the need for many large scale commissions. Kees’ partnership with Long produced some of the most highly recognized buildings in Minneapolis, including the City Hall and County Courthouse(1899-1905), the Flour Exchange Building (1892,1902), and the Masonic Temple (1888). After the dissolution of their partnership in 1898, Kees teamed with Serenus Colburn. They practiced for many years, designing a variety of homes, theaters, and skyscrapers. Their most notable works include the Advance Thresher/Emerson Newton Building (1901), the Loring Theater (1920), and the Charles M. Harrington House (1902). On top of his practice, Kees also served as president of Western Architect Publishing Company until his death in 1927.
Last updated Sep. 27, 2011