Masonic Temple

Individual Landmark

Hennepin Center for the Arts

 

 Hennepin_Ave_524-30_Masonic_Temple-1
1910

 Hennepin_Ave_524-30_Masonic_Temple-2
2006

 

Address: 524-30 Hennepin Avenue

Neighborhood: Downtown West

Construction Date: 1888-90

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Long and Kees

Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque

Historic Use: Commercial

Current Use: Commercial

Date of Local Designation: 1980

Date of National Register Designation: 1975

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Master architects

Period of Significance: 1800-1899, 1900 -

Historic Profile: Adorning the corner of Hennepin Avenue and 6 th Street for over a century, the Masonic Temple is an exemplary representative of the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture. The architecture firm of Long and Kees employed Romanesque techniques, extremely popular in the 1880s, to design offices and lodging space for the Masonic Temple Association of Minneapolis. Careful attention to exterior detail is found in the intricately carved motifs, especially along the Hennepin Avenue façade. The words "Masonic Temple" along with the symbols of the terrestrial and celestial globes were carved into the sandstone. The building remains in good condition; however the two Moorish onion domes placed on the corner towers were removed due to deterioration. In 1978 the building was purchased and renovated as the Hennepin Center for the Arts to provide performing, teaching, studio and office facilities for non-profit arts organizations.

Photo Credits:

1900, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," February 1975.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 21, 2011