Harry Wild Jones
Harry Wild Jones was born on June 9, 1859 in Schoolcraft, Michigan. He received his educational training at Brown University, after which he attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. After graduation, Jones traveled and studied architecture in France and Italy. Upon his return to the United States, he was employed as a draftsman in the office of Henry Hobson Richardson, famous American architect from Boston.
Jones settled in Minneapolis in 1883, and by 1885 opened his own architectural practice. During the early years of his career, he concentrated primarily on commercial buildings and residential homes, including his own "Elmwo od." Unfortunately, Jones’ most significant "Richardsonian" work from this period, the First National Bank of Commerce, was demolished.
By the turn of the century, Jones had turned his attention to primarily ecclesiastical architecture. His designs can be found around the world including China, India, and Burma, however many of his greatest works can be found in Minneapolis. The Lakewood Cemetery Chapel (1908), patterned after a Byzantine church, the Calvary Baptist Church (1889), as well as the Scottish Rite Temple (1906) are all fine examples of ecclesiastic architecture.
Recognized as a master of a variety of architectural styles including Neo-Classic, Georgian Revival, Shingle, and Gothic Revival, Jones preferred Romanesque and Near-Eastern motifs. His most important application of Gothicism is found in his design for a warehouse building for Butler Brothers in Minneapolis.
In addition to his architecture practice, Jones was active in civic life as well. He was a professor of architecture at the University of Minnesota, lecturer on church architecture at the University of Chicago, president of the Minnesota Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, director of the State Art Society, and a member of the Minneapolis Board of Park Commissioners.
Last updated Sep. 27, 2011