Franklin B. Long House

Individual Landmark

 

 Groveland_Terr_25_Frank_Long_House-1
1896

 Groveland_Terr_25_Frank_Long_House-2
2006

Address: 25 Groveland Terrace

Neighborhood: Lowry Hill

Construction Date: 1894

Contractor: J.H. McClay

Architect: Long and Kees

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Commercial - Offices

Date of Local Designation: 1984

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, master architects

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The Franklin B. Long House is significant as one of the most impressive surviving examples of 1890s Romanesque residential architecture in the city. Designed by the partnership of Long and Kees, the house served as a showpiece of the firm’s work as well as Long’s residence from 1895-1900. The firm also designed the three noteworthy Richardsonian Romanesque commercial buildings in the city: Minneapolis City Hall, the Masonic Temple building, and the Lumber Exchange Building. The Long House, essentially a single gabled roof volume, with its narrow porch end facing the street, conveys a sense of massive permanence through its design. The Long House is in excellent condition and, with the exception of minor alteration, has retained its original integrity.

Photo Credits:

1896, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," August 1983.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 21, 2011