Wesley United Methodist Church

Individual Landmark

Exterior and Interior

 

 Grant_St_E_101_Wesley_Methodist_Church-1
1949

 Grant_St_E_101_Wesley_Methodist_Church-2
2006

Address: 101 Grant Street East

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1891

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Warren Howard Hayes

Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque

Historic Use: Religious - Church

Current Use: Religious - Church

Date of Local Designation: 1984

Date of National Register Designation: 1984

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Engineering, Religion

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: During the 1880s the city of Minneapolis enjoyed a building boom that saw the construction of numerous new ecclesiastical buildings. When membership of Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church outgrew its building at 1 st Avenue S and 7 th Street, the congregation looked to build a grand new church at a site on Grant Street. Commissioning the region’s premier ecclesiastic architect, Warren Howard Hayes, the congregation was rewarded with his most elaborate diagonal plan. Decorative motifs on the exterior are of two types: they either reflect structure by emphasizing lintels and arches or recall Byzantine architecture with foliated flourishes at the tops of arches, towers, and gables. The nave, warmed by colored light from surrounding windows and a graceful dome of stained glass, is both grand and intimate. The Wesley Methodist Church has survived largely unaltered since its completion more than a century ago.

Photo Credits:

1949, Norton and Peel, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," September 1982.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 21, 2011