Edwin H. Hewitt House

Individual Landmark

126 Franklin Avenue East in 1974
1974

126 Franklin Avenue East in 2006
2006

Address: 126 Franklin Avenue East

Neighborhood: Steven’s Square 

Construction Date: 1906 

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Edwin H. Hewitt 

Architectural Style: Tudor Revival 

Historic Use: Residential – Single Family 

Current Use: Commercial – Funeral Parlor

Date of Local Designation: 1986

Date of National Register Designation: 1978

Area(s) of Significance: Master Architect

Period of Significance: 1900-

 

Historic Profile: Edwin Hawley Hewitt, one of Minnesota’s most widely acclaimed architects, designed and lived in this residence on the corner of Franklin Avenue and Stevens Avenue. After studying for many years in the United States and France, Hewitt returned to Minnesota in 1904 to establish his own architecture firm. In 1911 he joined with Brown, and together they designed many high-profile buildings throughout Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Telephone Building, the Episcopal Cathedral of St. Mark’s, the Metropolitan Bank Building, and Hennepin Avenue Methodist Church are just a few of the commissions completed by Hewitt and Brown. Hewitt, an advocate of cultural growth in the Twin Cities, became a major supporter and member of the Society of Fine Arts. The house he designed for himself not only contributes to the architectural aesthetic of Minneapolis, but is also a testimonial to the impact of Hewitt’s career.

Photo Credits:

1974, Charles Nelson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1977.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Mar. 29, 2012