Fowler Methodist Episcopal Church

Individual Landmark

Scottish Rite Temple - Interior and Exterior

 

 Dupont_Ave_S_2011_Scottish_Rite_Temple-1
1945

 Dupont_Ave_S_2011_Scottish_Rite_Temple-2
2006

Address: 2011 Dupont Avenue South

Neighborhood: Lowry Hill

Construction Date: 1894/1906

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Warren H. Hayes/ Harry Wild Jones

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Historic Use: Religious - Church

Current Use: Religious - Fraternal

Date of Local Designation: 1986

Date of National Register Designation: 1976

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1800-1899; 1900 -

Historic Profile: The Fowler Methodist Episcopal Church, now the Scottish Rite Temple, marks the only combined architectural effort by noted Minnesota architects Warren H. Hayes and Harry Wild Jones. Named in honor of the Bishop Fowler, the original designs for the chapel were submitted by Hayes in 1894. However, financial difficulties as well as the death of the architect halted further construction until 1906 when Jones brought the project to completion. Designed in the Romanesque Style, the main walls are composed of rough-cut, pink Jasper while the buttresses are made from red sand stone. Above the entrance on Franklin Avenue, a 24-foot diameter "rose" window divided into 12 divisions of "petals" all beautifully glazed with leaded stained glass, is featured. In 1915, the Scottish Rite acquired the building and has occupied the site since that time, maintaining and preserving the original design integrity.

Photo Credits:

1945, Norton and Peel, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," September 1975.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 21, 2011