Baker-Emerson House

Individual Landmark

 

 Dupont_Ave_N_2215_Baker-Emerson_House-1
1915

 Dupont_Ave_N_2215_Baker-Emerson_House-2
2006

Address: 2215 Dupont Avenue North

Neighborhood: Hawthorne

Construction Date: 1883

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Unknown

Architectural Style: Queen Anne/Eastlake

Historic Use: Residential – Single Family

Current Use: Residential – Single Family

Date of Local Designation: 1995

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Social History

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The Baker-Emerson House, located only two blocks from the W. Broadway Avenue commercial corridor in the Highland neighborhood, remains an excellent example of a middle-class residence built in the 1880s. The two-and one-half story frame house has retained both its Eastlake and Queen Anne style elements even though the property has changed ownership numerous times. The three earliest residents, William Huntington, George L. Baker and Carey Emerson were all involved in similar businesses and Baptist organizations. The succession of ownership is illustrative of a network of associations based on business and church membership in North Minneapolis neighborhoods.

Photo Credits:

1915, Portrait of George L. Baker, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," April 1994.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 22, 2011