Address: 1508 Dupont Avenue North
Neighborhood: Near North
Construction Date: 1865-85
Architectural Style: Italianate
Historic Use: Private Residence
Current Use: Private Residence
Date of Local Designation: 1983
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture; Exploration/Settlement
Period of Significance: 1865-1885
Historic Profile: Associated with one of Minneapolis’ pioneering merchants and farmers, the Case-Lang House remains an important surviving example of a first-generation Minneapolis residence. Stylistically, the house illustrates the transition from Greek Revival to Italianate, the preferred form found in many Civil War era homes. Its first owner, Emanuel Case, arrived in Saint Anthony in 1851. He operated a store until 1856 when he staked his land claim with Alexander Moore in the region north of the old Military Reserve Line. He cultivated the region until his death in 1871. In addition to farming, Case was active in civic affairs and was a founder of the Minnesota Agricultural Society and Cataract Lodge #2 AF&AM. Although altered by two subsequent owners, Peter Mootz and John Lang, the residence retains considerable integrity, preserved through a conscious re-use of existing materials and design elements. Threatened by a land development program in 1981, the house was moved as an alternative to demolition. It was relocated on a site six blocks from the original site in a neighborhood of predominantly late nineteenth century dwellings.
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Study," January 1982.
Updated: February 2007
Last updated Feb 11, 2019