Gluek Building

Individual Landmark

 

 6th_St_N_14_Gluek_Building-1
unknown

 6th_St_N_14_Gluek_Building-2
2006

Address: 14 6 th Street North

Neighborhood: Downtown West

Construction Date: 1902

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Boehme and Cordella

Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival

Historic Use: Commercial – Hotel and Saloon

Current Use: Commercial – Bar and Restaurant

Date of Local Designation: 1984

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Commerce

Period of Significance: 1900 -

Historic Profile: In 1857, approximately nine years before Minneapolis became a city, German immigrant Gottlieb Gluek founded the Gluek Brewing Company on the banks of the Mississippi River. With humble beginnings, lagering the beer in caves on the north end of Nicollet Island, the Gluek Brewing Company grew quickly. Along with expanding operations with a new brewery in 1891, a new bar/restaurant was opened in 1902. Placed in the heart of the downtown entertainment district between Hennepin and 1 st Avenue, the bar helped to promote and sell Gluek beer. Designed by Christopher Boehme and Victor Cordella, the narrow, three-story brick and masonry building skillfully used decorative terracotta treatments reminiscent of the Beaux-Arts Classical style of architecture. In 1989 the building suffered a major fire, but it has undergone a beautiful rehabilitation to restore the building to its original condition.

Photo Credits:

Unknown

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 21, 2011