Montefiore Cemetery Chapel

Individual Landmark

Temple Israel Memorial Park

 

 

 3rd_Ave_S_4153_Montefiore_Cemetery_and_Chapel-1
2006

Address: 4153 3rd Avenue South

Neighborhood: Bryant

Construction Date: 1890

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Septimus J. Bowler

Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque

Date of Local Designation: 2000

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Historic Use: Religious

Current Use: Religious

Areas of Significance: Cultural History

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The Montefiore Cemetery Chapel is considered a significant reflection of the religions and cultural development of early German Jewish communities in Minneapolis. The Cemetery Chapel was commissioned by the Montefiore Burial Association in 1890 in order to carry out traditional burial practices. However it quickly developed into the cultural center for Shaarai Tov (Temple Israel). In 1952 the Montefiore Cemetery Association merged with Shaarai Tov and changed the name to Temple Israel Cemetery. Rehabilitation efforts to restore the historic integrity of the porte cochere arch were conducted in 2000.

Photo Credits:

2006 photo, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," May 1996.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 21, 2011