First Church of Christ Scientist

Individual Landmark

 

 

 15th_St_E_614-20_First_Church_of_Christ_Scientist-1
1985

 15th_St_E_614-20_First_Church_of_Christ_Scientist-2
2006

Address: 614-20 East 15 th Street

Neighborhood: Elliot Park

Construction Date: 1897

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: S.J. Bowler

Architectural Style: Beaux-Arts/Classical Revival

Historic Use: Religious - Church

Current Use: Vacant

Date of Local Designation: 1986

Date of National Register Designation: 1986

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Cultural History

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: As the first Christian Scientist Church constructed in Minnesota, First Church of Christ Scientist congregation placed a great emphasis on the structure’s architecture. Located in a residential area of Elliot Park, architect S.J. Bowler chose a small-scale design of the Doric order. The Doric order was believed to be the oldest, simplest, and most adaptable form of Greek architecture. Only two buildings – The University of Minnesota Library (now Burton Hall) and the First Church of Christ Scientist – remain as examples of this style in Minneapolis. The front exterior of the church features a deep portico with two fluted columns reaching up to the low pitched, pedimented gable. Etched in the brick masonry are the words "First Church of Christ Scientist." Bowler made good use of a small budget (only $13,000) by adopting the scale of its residential neighbors, mainly Victorian homes which have now been replaced by multi-family units.

Photo Credits:

1985, Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," August 1985.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov. 23, 2011