Madison School

Individual Landmark

 

501 East 15th Street in 1882
1882

501 East 15th Street in 2006
2006

Address: 501 East 15 th Street

Neighborhood: Elliot Park

Construction Date: 1887

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Walter Pardee

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Historic Use: Public - Education

Current Use: Residential – Multiple Dwellings

Date of Local Designation: 1983

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Education

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: Noted for both its role in educational history and its distinguishing architectural characteristics, the Madison School is a highly visible Minneapolis landmark. The Madison school site has the longest continuing history of enrollment in Minneapolis school system, lasting 112 years from 1870 to 1982. The building, constructed in two phases by Walter Pardee was begun in 1887 and completed by 1889. The first phase of construction consisted of eight rooms and the second of twelve. Notable features of the school building include the semi-circular arched entry, tourelles, carved stone finials and parapet brickwork.

Photo Credits:

1882, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," June 1982.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Mar. 29, 2012