Dunn Mansion

Individual Landmark

dunn_mansion_1898   dunn_mansion_present
1898                                                                                 2010

Address: 337 Oak Grove Street

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1893

Contractor: Erick Lund

Architect: Edward S. Stebbins

Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Office

Date of Local Designation: 2011

Date of National Designation: N/A

Area of Significance: Architecture; Master Architect; Neighborhood Identity

Period of Significance: 1893-1951 

Historic Profile: Designed by architect Edward S. Stebbins for Dr. James Dunn, the Dunn Mansion embodies the distinctive design characteristics of the Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style. It features many hallmarks of the style, including rough-faced masonry construction, rounded arches over the windows, and the round tower with a conical roof, which anchors the northwest corner of the front façade.

Edward S. Stebbins is widely credited as being the first college educated architect to practice in the City of Minneapolis. His most prominent contributions to the architectural fabric of the City come from his work for the Minneapolis School Board. Stebbins was appointed the official architect of the School Board in 1898, and served in the post until 1912. During his tenure as official architect, Stebbins was involved in the design of several of the most notable schools in the city, including the Pratt (1898), West (1906, razed 1984), Willard (1910) and Barton (1912) schools. In addition to his work for the Minneapolis School Board, Stebbins designed a number of other notable structures in Minneapolis, including the Daniel B. Lyon House (419 Oak Grove Street), Gethsemane Episcopal Church (901 4th Avenue S) and the “Mary Tyler Moore House” (2104 Kenwood Parkway).

The Dunn Mansion is one of the few remaining examples of the ornate single-family residences that once lined Oak Grove Street.  It is part of a grouping of three such houses that remain near the western edge of the neighborhood. These remaining mansions serve as a tangible reminder of the time when the area around Loring Park was one of the most fashionable places for wealthy and prominent Minneapolitans to live.

Photo Credits:

1898, Times Newspaper Co.
2010, CPED Staff

Last updated Oct 30, 2012