Minneapolis Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)
Minneapolis police and firefighters are prepared for everyday emergencies and are normally the first to respond to emergencies. However, during a disaster, the number and scope of incidents can overwhelm first responders. The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact our community. This valuable course is designed to help you protect yourself, your family, your neighbors and your neighborhood in an emergency situation.
CERT is a realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens may initially be on their own and their actions can make a difference. People naturally respond to others in need, without training they can endanger themselves and worsen the situation. One goal of the CERT program is to help respond effectively and efficiently without placing themselves in unnecessary danger. In the CERT training, citizens learn about the following topics:
- Emergency Preparedness: what hazards are most likely to affect our homes and community, the role CERT members play in an immediate response, and steps to take to be prepared for disasters?
- Fire Safety: identification and reduction of fire hazards in our homes and workplaces, team work to apply basic fire suppression strategies.
- First Aid: how to use basic first aid techniques to open airways, control bleeding and shock, and how to treat various wounds.
- Search and Rescue: safe techniques for searching a structure, removing debris and ways to protect rescuers doing search and rescue.
- Terrorism: learn the definition of terrorism, terrorist goals, weapons that pose the greatest threat and cure that help identify when a terrorist attack has occurred or may be imminent.
Trained CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an emergency event or disaster when professional responders are not immediately available to help.
- CERT Frequently Asked Questions
- CERT Field Operating Guide (pdf)
- CERT Member pocket guide (pdf)
- CERT Tracking Form (doc)
- CERT Triage Interactive Quiz (Dade County, Miami Triage Virtual Exercise)
- Minneapolis CERT Member Location map (pdf)
- Minneapolis CERT Member Information Update Form (doc)
For more information about CERT Training, contact:
Community Risk Reduction Officer
Minneapolis Fire Department
350 South 5th. St. Room 233
Minneapolis, MN. 55415
phone: 612-673-3184 fax: 612-673-2828
Think globally, prepare locally!
Last updated Apr. 23, 2014