City of Minneapolis Financial Transparency Platform
Welcome to the City of Minneapolis Financial Transparency Platform. This is an interactive reporting tool that allows the public to explore City financial data online in various, easy-to-use graphical formats selected by the user, as well as download graphs and numbers.
With this tool, the City of Minneapolis is providing historical financial data from 2008 to the current year. Each year following budget approval, a new year of data will be added giving the public a rolling multi-year snapshot of revenue and expenditure trends, which are available by department, fund, or line item. In addition, year-to-date monthly data will also be made regularly available.
Get started by visiting Minneapolis’ OpenGov website. Instructions on how to navigate the data are included via the "How To" tab at the top of that web page, and here are some tips on how to use the OpenGov platform.
Tips for using the City’s Financial Transparency Platform
- OpenGov allows you to explore budget and historical finances in a simple graphical user interface. The default view displays expenses broken down by City department.
- The title of the chart or graph you are viewing is located at the top of the page.
- To focus on specific data — like a fund, department, expense type or any combination — use the menu on the left side panel. The “By” drop-down allows you to specify which breakdown you want the graphs and table rows to represent on the graph. You can analyze the expense and revenues data by fund, department, or type.
- To see actual dollar amounts within the graphs, hover over any area of the graph to see the actual or budgeted amounts for that period. You can also view a Table detailing the financial information in the visualizations by scrolling down or hitting the “View Table” button at the bottom right of the screen.
- The data can be downloaded into a .csv spreadsheet and .png image and also shared via email or any social media platform.
- If you have questions or comments, you can send them to City via the Help menu located at the top right of the screen; there are instructions on how to send an email to City staff in the drop down menu.
A few links to get you started.
- What is the General Fund total budget?
- Overall what are the City's Revenues and Expenses?
- How much property tax revenue does the City receive each year?
- How much revenue does the City’s Water Fund generate each year?
- How much does Public Works spend on snow and ice control?
For access to the City’s Open Data portal, which contains a variety of data sets and map files about many other City functions, please visit: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/opendata/index.htm
For information on access to other government records and public information, please visit the City’s Data Practices site.
Last updated Feb 26, 2016