After Hours Work Permit
Required for any construction work being done Monday through Friday outside the hours of 7:00am to 6:00pm or anytime on Saturday, Sunday, or City Holidays.
Permit fees can be found in the Director’s Fee Schedule.
Exemption from permit requirements include:
- A property owner or tenants of a residentially used property may conduct construction activities on their residentially used property on Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays from 9:00am to 6:00pm.
- Anyone using construction equipment in an enclosed and insulated building that does not share a common wall with another building or occupant.
After Hours Work Ordinance
59.30 After hours work permit required. (a) Operation of construction equipment without a permit is allowed only on Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., not including federal holidays. Operation of construction equipment outside of these hours and days without a permit from the assistant city coordinator for regulatory services or their designee is prohibited.
(b) The fees for an after hours work permit issued pursuant to paragraph 59.30(a) shall be established in the director's fee schedule pursuant to section 91.70. The fee for an after hours work permit for a department of public works project, other government agency project or projects of their agents shall be as established in the director's fee schedule pursuant to section 91.70. Permits shall be obtained in advance of the proposed activity.
(c) Parties applying for an after hours work permit must provide a general notice of their activity to all occupants where the construction activity will occur and to the building owners and their tenants of all adjacent properties. The notice must include contact information for the party performing the construction activity, brief description of the proposed work, intended dates and times and identify that complaints regarding the construction activity will be received by Minneapolis Information and Services by dialing 311 in Minneapolis or (612) 673-3000 from cell phones and phones outside of Minneapolis.
(d) Applications for an after hours work permit shall be in such form as prescribed by the department of regulatory services. A copy of the written notice required by 59.30(c) must be submitted with the permit application.
(e) Exemption from permit requirements:
(1) A property owner or tenants of a residentially used property may conduct construction activities on their residentially used property on Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.;
(2) A party using construction equipment in an enclosed and insulated building that does not share a common wall with another building or occupant; or
(3) A project for which the city engineer has determined that the expeditious construction, repair or rehabilitation of any highway, road or bridge or other public infrastructure necessitates the operation of pile drivers, jackhammers, engines, power units or any other construction equipment and has so certified in writing. (2008-Or-097, § 1, 12-12-08)
Last updated Sep 25, 2015