Minneapolis Health Department

Public Service Center
250 S. 4th. Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
[email protected]
612- 673-2301

Submit permits in-person
at the customer service
counter on 3rd floor of
Public Service Center.

Directions & Parking for
Public Service Center

City of Minneapolis Health Department - Youtube Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Twitter Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Facebook page

Environmental Concerns

At Environmental Services, we work as the investigation and enforcement department for environmental issues in Minneapolis. Call 311 and we will investigate land, water, air, and noise concerns, including common concerns listed below. 


The anti-idling ordinance restricts idling of cars and other gas or diesel powered vehicles to no more than three minutes in a one hour period. The ordinance also limits idling of buses, trucks, and other diesel engine-powered vehicles to no than five minutes in a one hour period.

There are exceptions to the three minute idling restriction for cars and most other gas or diesel powered vehicles:

More information can be found at: Chapter 58 - Idling


Construction/demolition noise is allowed 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. An After-Hours Work Permit is required for work anytime on Saturday or Sunday. Homeowners are not required to obtain an After Hours Work Permit on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on weekends from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

More information can be found at: Chapter 389 - Noise


The City of Minneapolis has a criteria and threshold for nuisance odors. Odors are unlawful if air contaminants migrate from the premises and are identified by an Inspector to be above the threshold of violation at an adjacent property.

To report an odor issue: Contact 311

More information can be found at: 47.150 - Odor


Environmental Services will respond to spills that are 5 gallons or less and will assist the Fire Department and Public Works for larger spills as needed. 

To report a spill: Contact 311

More information can be found at: 287.100 - Oil or gasoline spills

Wells and tanks

Email [email protected] if you have questions about possible wells or tanks on your property. If you are having a well or tank removed, be sure to work with a licensed well contractor. 

To request information on tanks or wells: Contact 311

More information can be found at: 48.260 - Wells


Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Apr 23, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Salary Compliance Notice:
State statute 471.701; Notice of Salary Compliance, requires that the City post for not less than 90 days
the job title of the three highest paid employees along with their base salary. For 2018 these were:
1. City Attorney, $186,490
2. Assistant City Coordinator Convention Center, $183,600
3. Director Public Works, $181,191


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo