Commercial and Multifamily Residential Buildings- Energy Benchmarking and Transparency
In Minneapolis, large buildings make up almost 50% of the City's energy use. This provides a tremendous opportunity for identifying areas with the largest potential for energy savings.
- In February of 2013, the Minneapolis City Council adopted ordinance 47.190 requiring commercial buildings 50,000 square feet and greater and city-owned buildings 25,000 square feet and greater to annually benchmark their energy consumption and report this information to the City.
- In February of 2019, the Minneapolis City Council unanimously passed an expansion to the City's Commercial Building Energy Benchmarking and Transparency ordinance to include multifamily residential buildings 50,000 square feet and greater.
The Energy Benchmarking program allows building owners and the City to track energy and water usage year to year to determine opportunities for improvement, recognize high performers, and determine progress towards the City's Climate Action Plan goals.
For All Properties, the Compliance Deadline is June 1, 2020
To learn more about the program rules, check the compliance standards.
To find out if your property needs to comply, view the list of properties.
How to Submit Energy Benchmarking Data
Follow the step-by-step How to Benchmark Guide to start energy benchmarking process.
- Set up an account in Energy Star Portfolio Manager for your building.
- Manually enter electricity and natural gas consumption data or connect to get an automatic data transfer from Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy to the Energy Star account. Get your water consumption data, and manually enter it in your Energy Star account.
- Submit data by responding to the 2019 Data Request link. Check the final steps to submit data to the City.
Help: Need assistance? Contact our Helpline at [email protected] or 612-673-3091.
Training: Sign up for free training
- Benchmarking Data Jam 1, March 24th, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Benchmarking Data Jam 2, April 22nd, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Benchmarking Data Jam 3, May 21st, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Benchmarking and Enforcement Timeline
The following timeline will be used for compliance, reporting, and publication annually.
Non-compliant buildings will receive a warning/violation notice after the June 1 deadline. Excluding buildings with approved exemptions, buildings will be considered non-compliant if they have either no submission or an incomplete submission of annual benchmarking data. If no action is taken by the building to resolve the violation by the end of the period marked on the violation notice, citations will be issued. Up to four citations may be issued and they will double in amount with each subsequent citation.
Resources for Building Owners and Managers to Improve Building Energy Efficiency
- Minneapolis Green Cost Share Program - The Green Cost Sharing Program offers funds for commercial buildings and multifamily (four units or more) residential buildings that increase energy efficiency. Priority will be given to buildings in Green Zones of Minneapolis, buildings that are participating in the Minneapolis Energy Benchmarking program. Funds are limited; Apply today!
Application deadlines: December 1, February 1, April 1, June 1 of each year.
- Xcel Energy offers rebates for qualifying electricity-saving projects such as lighting retrofits and electric equipment upgrades.
- CenterPoint Energy offers rebates for qualifying natural gas-saving projects such as heating and hot water equipment upgrades.
- ENERGY STAR Certification - Make the energy efficiency of your building transparent! CenterPoint Energy will reimburse customers for the cost of the ENERGY STAR® application verification up to a maximum of $1,500 per building. ENERGY STAR certification provides proof that your building managers care about high building performance.
View Building and Property Data
Look up your property's address and view its data on Minneapolis Property Info.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Feb 13, 2020