Ordinance 47.190 requires buildings containing at least 50,000 gross square feet that is NOT classified as residential or industrial use report their energy use to the City. If your building has partial industrial or residential use, that portion of your floor area can be subtracted from your total. Initial compliance dates vary based on size:
- Buildings at or over 100,000 square feet must comply by June 1, 2014, and every June 1 thereafter.
- Buildings at or over 50,000 square feet must comply by June 1, 2015, and every June 1 thereafter.
> For assistance and resources to help comply with the ordinance, visit the Center for Energy and Environment's Building Energy Benchmarking Ordinance site If you have questions about whether this applies to your building, contact Environmental Services at 612-673-3091 or via email.
Portfolio Manager - How To
Buildings use to track energy use and calculate an ENERGY STAR score of 1-100, for eligible building types. Information is submitted annually to Minneapolis Environmental Services directly through Portfolio Manager. Follow the Center for Energy and Environment's guide (pdf) for step-by-step instructions on how to enter your building's data to comply with Minneapolis' Building Energy Benchmarking Ordinance. You will need to collect the following information before starting your session:
- Property name and address
- Your bills for electricity, gas, steam, chilled water, and municipal water (total usage, billing beginning and end dates) for the reporting year
- Building gross square footage
- Building type(s)
- Certain building attributes, depending on building type. These may include:
- Weekly operating hours
- number of computers
- number of workers
- percent of building that is heated or cooled
Resources for Building Owners and Managers
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Nov 16, 2017