Minneapolis Air Quality Study - VOC
2013 to 2015 Study
Strong links exist between air pollution and health problems, especially for sensitive groups such as the elderly, children and those with respiratory and cardiac problems. We at the City of Minneapolis take quality of the are we breathe as precious and consider it a priority.
Air quality: A neighborhood approach reports
Goals of the study
The results of the study helped prioritize how we spent time and resources on the next phase of the study. The goals of the air quality study were:
- Gain a greater understanding of air quality where we work, play and live.
- Compare air quality results to health risks.
- Understand pollutants and their potential sources at a local level.
Air quality study details
- Air samples were be collected eight times quarterly from November 2013 to August 2015.
- Each air sample was collected for 72 hours (three days).
- Approximately 100 collection canisters are placed citywide at the same time for each air collection event. Canisters were placed on residential, commercial, Park Board and City property.
- Residential volunteers were an essential part of this study.
- Each canister was analyzed for 61 VOCs looking for VOCs over health risk value (HRV). A Health Risk Value (or guidance value for air) is defined as the concentration of a chemical (or a defined mixture of chemicals) that is likely to pose little or no risk to human health.
- Air samples were collected by using summa canisters were used to collect air samples. A valve on the canister was opened to allow air to flow into the canister. The summa canister has a regulator which allows air to flow into the canister at a specific rate.
Air quality results map
Below are charts and a map showing results of the study Air Quality: A Neighborhood Approach.
You can view the map below or, for a more robust experience, you can access the interactive map in a separate window.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Oct 31, 2018