Hollywood Theater - 2815-2819 Johnson Street NE
The City of Minneapolis is seeking redevelopment proposals for property owned by the City at 2815-2819 Johnson Street NE, also known as the Hollywood Theater building. The City will sell the site "as-is".
The City’s redevelopment goals for the site include renovation of the existing structure to accommodate a viable commercial use while preserving the character-defining features of the building and the option for future use as a theater.
This RFP will consider a wide range of commercial uses of the theater building. Proposals that involve a theater or entertainment reuse will be considered, but so will proposals with other commercial uses such as office and/or retail. Any proposals with a non-theater use must address how they will preserve the option for reuse as a theater in the future, if such an option arises. Residential uses are not allowed at the site.
The City has an appraisal for the Site from January 2009 of $275,000. Offer prices will be one of multiple criteria for evaluating proposals. City policy is to sell redevelopment property at fair reuse value based on the planned use of the property. The Site is approximately 16,000 square feet and the theater building, which occupies the southern two-thirds of the Site, is approximately 12,000 square feet.
Proposals are due no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 31, 2009.
- Framework for the Treatment of Character Defining Features for the Reactivation of the Hollywood Theater, March 2009 (pdf)
- Presentation slides on the Framework for the Treatment of Character Defining Features for the Reactivation of the Hollywood Theater, March 2009 (pdf)
- Neighborhood Movie Theater Thematic District Guidelines for Rehabilitation, July 1991 (pdf)
- Two HPC staff reports from March 2009
- Hollywood Theatre Redevelopment Plan, September 2008 (pdf)
- Audubon Park Neighborhood Small Area Plan, February 2008
- Summary Appraisal Report and Summary of Review Appraiser’s Report, January 2009 (pdf)
- Site survey, October 2002 (pdf)
- Downloadable CAD files of theater building (zip)
- Summary of City improvements and expenditures (pdf)
- Consent for Release of Response Data form
For further information about this RFP, email Miles Mercer.
Online information from the City of Minneapolis at MinneapolisMN.gov/CPED
Last updated Nov 2, 2011