Minneapolis’ Upper River
The City of Minneapolis is working with its partners to pursue a common redevelopment vision for the portion of the Mississippi riverfront north of Plymouth Avenue/Eighth Avenue NE, known as the Upper River or “Above the Falls.” As with the Central Riverfront area, redevelopment of the Upper River will be a long-term initiative that will involve the coordinated efforts of many public and private partners. This work will be guided by the Above the Falls Master Plan Update (adopted by the Minneapolis City Council in 2013) and the Above the Falls Regional Park Plan (completed in 2013 and pending approval).
Implementation of the vision for the Upper River is now underway. One of the major upcoming redevelopment activities will be the redevelopment of the Upper Harbor Terminal into park and business park uses.
Plans and Publications
- Above the Falls Master Plan Update (2013)
- Above the Falls: A Master Plan for the Upper River in Minneapolis (1999; replaced by above 2013 update)
- Above the Falls Regional Park Plan
Partners and Links
Upper River Neighborhood Organizations:
- Bottineau Neighborhood Association
- Columbia Park Neighborhood Association
- Concerned Citizens of Marshall Terrace
- Hawthorne Neighborhood Council
- Lind-Bohanon Neighborhood Association
- McKinley Community
- Northside Residents Redevelopment Council (Near North)
- Sheridan Neighborhood Organization
- St. Anthony West Neighborhood Organization
- Webber-Camden Neighborhood Organization
Contact CPED Principal Planner, Haila Maze at 612-673-2098.
Last updated Apr 10, 2017