Allowing Intentional Community Cluster Developments
An ordinance was introduced by Council Members Gordon, Schroeder, and Ellison to the City Council on January 10, 2019, to amend regulations related to intentional community cluster developments. The amendment will allow a configuration of small dwellings or rooming units and a common house on a lot.
Goals of the amendment
The intent of this amendment is to authorize an innovative and affordable housing option for residents who are either housing stable or unstable.
Applicable sections of the Zoning Code
The following chapters of the zoning code are expected to be impacted by the proposed ordinance and are under consideration as part of the amendment:
- Chapter 520: Introductory Provisions
- Chapter 530: Site Plan Review
- Chapter 535: Regulations of General Applicability
- Chapter 536: Specific Development Standards
- Chapter 537: Accessory Uses and Structures
- Chapter 541: Off-Street Parking
- Chapter 546: Residence Districts
- Chapter 547: Office Residence Districts
- Chapter 548: Commercial Districts
- Chapter 549: Downtown Districts
- Chapter 551: Overlay Districts
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (August 22, 2019) This meeting is to introduce the concept to the Commission.
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (tentatively September 26, 2019) This meeting is to introduce draft ordinance language to the Commission.
City Planning Commission (tentatively October 21, 2019). This meeting includes the opportunity to provide testimony at a public hearing.
City Council Zoning & Planning Committee (tentatively November 14, 2019)
Minneapolis City Council (tentatively November 22, 2019)
Following the mayoral signature, the ordinance will be formally adopted on November 30, 2019, provided that the amendment is reviewed and approved according to the current schedule.
- Legislation Details: Intentional communities and cluster developments ordinance (2019-01427)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (August 22, 2019)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (tentatively September 26, 2019)
- Staff report and draft ordinance prepared for the City Planning Commission (tentatively October 21, 2019)
Last updated Aug 23, 2019