Planning Handouts and Technical Bulletins
- Land Use Application Process Guide (pdf) – A detailed narrative describing the Land Use application process. Applications are required for land uses that require approval from the City Planning Commission or Board of Adjustment, such as variances and conditional use permits.
- Land Use and Zoning Overview (pdf) – An overview of the different types of land use applications, relevant planning policies, and roles and responsibilities in the land use and zoning approvals process.
- Instructions for Electronic Submittal - The goals of these instructions are to make a plan set easy to navigate for board and commission members, reduce the file size, and have a quality visual.
- Recording Conditional Use Permit Approvals (pdf) - Detailed instructions on recording a conditional use permit with the Hennepin County Recorder or Registrar of Titles.
Site Plan Review
Site Plan Review applies to the establishment or expansion of any building, principal use or freestanding accessory parking garage listed in Table 535-1, except as otherwise provided in Chapter 530. CPED has developed the following resources related to new residential and commercial development that is subject to these standards:
- Site Plan Review Checklist (pdf)
- Site Plan Review Ordinance (pdf)
- Sample Residential Site Plan (pdf)
- Guide to Residential Point System for New Construction (1-4 units) (pdf)
- Commercial/Multi-family Site Plan Review (technical bulletin) (pdf)
- Site Plan Requirements (pdf)
- Sample Commercial Site Plan (pdf)
- Guide to Exterior Building Walls and Materials (pdf)
- Winter City Design (pdf)
- Landscaping & Screening (pdf)
- Shadow Analysis (pdf)
Specific Topics, A to Z
- Bicycle Parking (pdf) - Guidance on when bicycle parking is required and how to should be designed.
- Commercial Zoning Districts (pdf) - An explanation of the five commercial zoning districts and their regulations.
- Communication Towers, Antennas and Base Units (pdf) - Includes a list of terminology, regulations, and review processes.
- Fence Requirements (pdf) - An overview of fence regulations, including height, maintenance, and design requirements.
- Garages and Accessory Structures (pdf) - An overview of zoning code and building code standards that pertain to the type, size, location and operational characteristics of accessory uses and structures.
- Half Stories for Single and Two-Family Dwellings (pdf) - Guidance for dormer and upper level additions for single and two-family dwellings.
- Home Occupations (pdf) - An overview of home occupation regulations that are intended to ensure that home occupations do not adversely affect the character and livability of the surrounding neighborhood.
- Lighting (pdf) - Lighting standards applicable to all new development projects.
- Parking Area Design & Maintenance (pdf) - An overview of the design and maintenance regulations for parking or loading areas, including surfacing, location, size, spacing, and landscaping requirements.
- Skyways (pdf) - Regulations governing new skyways including review process, materials, and design.
- Survey Requirements and Property Line Location (pdf) - An informational handout regarding the City policies for survey and property line location requirements. Setback requirements are enforced to protect property owners, as well as the owners of adjacent properties.
Last updated Jun 19, 2019