Community Planning & Economic Development
Business Profile: Safesha
Sylvia Andrews with her Safesha line of products at Lundss
When Sylvia Andrews began using green household products in her home, she also discovered a need for more natural personal care products. So, in July 2014, she started Safesha, a line of natural hand sanitizers fragranced with scents like lavender and sweet orange. The product is meant to cleanse hands without leaving them dry and sticky. Inspired by African culture and wanting the product to reflect her own identity, Sylvia chose to name her company Safesha, a Swahili word which means to cleanse or wash.
Sylvia connected with the City and B-TAP after attending a Minority and Women Owned Business Opportunity fair in St. Paul. Afterwards, she began working with James Terrell, a Senior Project Coordinator at CPED, who has helped Sylvia better understand the services, programs and community partnerships that B-TAP provides.One of Sylvia’s missions for Safesha is to create more employment opportunities for minorities and women who might not have a chance otherwise. She currently employs anywhere from three to five people, and plans to grow her company by introducing new product lines and increasing their geographic reach. Currently, Safesha products are distributed in 90 stores across the Twin Cities, Iowa, North and South Dakota, and California.
Latest News from CPED
- Over 700 Twin Cities Metro Area Youth Expected to Attend 10th Annual Minneapolis Teen Job and Opportunity Fair on Saturday, April 30 (pdf)
- City of Minneapolis Launches New Cooperative Technical Assistance Program. 4/21/16 (pdf)
- City of Minneapolis Great Streets Program Recipient Metro Blooms to Unveil Unique Art Installation that Manages Stormwater Runoff, 4/11/16 (pdf)
- City of Minneapolis to Launch Cooperative Technical Assistance Program Wednesday, April 20, Open Book, 4/7/16 (pdf)
- Minneapolis Youth Employment Program STEP-UP to Provide Job Interview Experience to Over 1,700 Youth, 4/7/16 (pdf)
Last updated Apr 22, 2016