Community Planning & Economic Development
Business Profile: Brave New Workshop
BNW's Happy Hour Squared monthly community service event has provided more than 135,000 sandwiches to the hungry since 2015. (Source: The BNW)
The Brave New Workshop (BNW) is the nation’s longest running satirical comedy theatre and 2018 marks their 60th year. Aside from delivering their own great entertainment, BNW hosts a variety of events in their ETC space; guest speakers and training for Fortune 500 companies; venue rental and improv training through their school, the BNW Student Union.
In honor of their 60th anniversary, the owners, Jenni Lilledahl and John Sweeney, have declared it the year of gratitude. The BNW hosts a “Happy Hour Squared” (HH2) event, where every third Thursday of the month, they bring together volunteers to make sandwiches to feed those in need in their neighborhood. They call it a "Happy Hour with a purpose," and celebrated the third anniversary of the HH2 program in April. To date, they have handed out more than 135,000 sandwiches via Allan Law’s Minneapolis Recreational Development, Inc.
The next HH2 event is Thursday, May 17 from 5 – 7 p.m. at the BNW at 824 Hennepin. All are welcome.
The owners acquired the downtown building at 824 Hennepin Avenue from the City in 2011 for fair reuse value, with a portion of the purchase price financed by the City at market-rate-terms. A few years later, the City assisted in securing a Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) loan to purchase a new HVAC system and make energy-efficiency improvements to the building, as well as to another nearby building the owners purchased to expand their downtown presence.
Latest News from CPED
- Annual STEP-UP Mock Interviews to Provide Job Interview Experience to Over 1,500 Minneapolis Youth, 3/26/18 (PDF)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul team selected for new national anti-displacement policy network, 3/23/18 (PDF)
- Minneapolis Music History Project Captures Important Places, Structures, and Buildings in the City to Fully Understand the History of Music in Minneapolis, 3/19/18 (PDF)
- North Minneapolis Based Wirth Co-op to Celebrate Grand Opening on Thursday, October 26 (pdf)
- Minneapolis Seward Neighborhood Named One of 15 Great Places in America by the American Planning Association, 10/4/17 (pdf)
Last updated May 14, 2018