Vacation of Streets and Alleys
You may petition the Minneapolis City Council to relinquish (vacate) the City easement rights to any public right-of-way, thereby closing a street or alley and making it available for another use.
There is a $300.00 non-refundable processing fee for each street or alley to be vacated. The procedure will take approximately 3 to 4 months.
- Download and complete the Vacation of a Public Right of Way Application (pdf)
- Applications should be submitted to the City Clerk.
- The City Clerk sends the application to the Public Works Right-of-Way Section.
- The application is reviewed by City staff as well as public and private utility companies.
- After Staff review, the Minneapolis Planning Commission conducts a public hearing and makes a recommendation to the Zoning and Planning Committee of the Minneapolis City Council.
For information about the vacation application process, contact (612) 673-2428.
Last updated Feb 7, 2018