How to Apply
When to Apply
The application for the Urban Scholar program is open January 6 to February 17, 11:59 PM (CST).
If you are interested in being an Urban Scholar placed at the Metropolitan Council, you must complete their application which will be open January 3 to February 2.
If you are interested in being an Urban Scholar placed at Hennepin County, you must complete their application which will be open January 28 to March 1.
Components of the Application
You must upload all the following items with the application:
- Resume (including education and relevant course work, skills, languages spoken, unpaid experience, volunteer experience, work history, and accomplishments [i.e. honors, awards, etc.]).
- Unofficial transcript labeled with your student information (i.e. name, major, etc.).
- Essay In a 1-2 page, 1.5 spaced essay, please describe how you have exhibited each of the below qualifications in your personal, academic, or professional journey. This is NOT a cover letter. Please answer each essay question in a separate paragraph. The completed essay must be uploaded under the attachment type "Other" in the online application.
- Cultural Competency: The ability to understand, appreciate and interact with persons from cultures and/or belief systems other than one's own.
- Altruism: Cares about other people and their needs without regard for their own needs and thinks about other groups who have a stake or interest in various projects, initiatives, or activities.
- Teamwork/Collaboration: Take a broad view of the team concept and considers values, opinions, and preferences of other group members in completing tasks and in decision making.
- Resiliency/Adaptability: Shows resiliency in the face of obstacles, setback and other sources of stress; gets back up and moves forward. Adapts well to changing conditions and recognizes when changes in priorities, direction or the pace of activities appear necessary.
Please remember to answer all supplemental questions within the application.
Where to Find the Application
The link above takes you to the Multi-Jurisdictional application.
If you have any issues accessing the application please reach out to [email protected]
For alternative formats please contact Civil Rights Equity Division, 612-673-3012 or [email protected]
People who are deaf of hard of hearing can use relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
What is the difference between the three different Urban Scholars applications?
|Multi-Jurisdictional||City of Minneapolis, State of Minnesota, Fourth Judicial District Courts, Minneapolis Public Schools, Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, Saint Paul Parks and Recreation, Metropolitan Airports Commission, Washburn Center for Children, Village Financial.||Meets every Wednesday at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul.||Jan 6 to Feb 17|
|Hennepin County||Hennepin County Only||Meets with Multi-jurisdictional cohorts every Wednesday at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul.||Jan 6 to March 1|
|Metropolitan Council||Metropolitan Council Only||Meets with only Metropolitan Council Scholars weekly in Metropolitan Council offices in St. Paul.||Jan 3 to Feb 2|
All three applications ask for same materials. We encourage you to submit the same application materials to all three applications. We encourage applicants to apply to as many Urban Scholars cohorts as they wish.
I submitted an application, what comes next?
Key Dates for Next Steps:
Feb 17 - Application Closes
Feb to Early March - Staff screens applications
March to Early April - Interviews
Last updated Jan 16, 2020