Minneapolis City Charter 141.40
Substantive and Procedural Powers and Duties of Commission.
The Commission shall:
(1) Seek to prevent and eliminate bias and discrimination because of race, color. creed religion, ancestry, national origin, sex affectional preference, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance or familial status by means of education. persuasion, conciliation and enforcement, meditation and the impartial resolution and adjudication of disputes, and utilize all of the powers at its disposal to carry into execution the provisions of the title. The commission may often as part of mediation the administrative costs incurred by the commission in handling the complaint.
(2) Conduct a program of research and study for the purpose of ascertaining how the objectives of this title may best be attained and sustained.
(3) Publish results of such research and studies.
(4) Advise the mayor, the city council and departments or agencies of government with respect to matters relating to the commission's purposes.
(5) Cooperate with and seek to advise and coordinate the activities of persons of groups interested in the objectives of this title.
(6) Receive, or on the basis of its own information, initiate, complaints alleging discrimination and conduct such investigations and inquiries as may reasonably appear necessary to find the facts with respect thereto.
(7) Conduct public meetings and hearings, and gather and disseminate information to governmental agencies and to the public.
(8) Utilize the records and services of municipal, state and federal governmental departments and agencies to the extent permitted by law, and pursuant to agreement with departments and agencies may refer ;matters for preliminary inquiry, conciliation, hearing and findings.
(9) Furnish to any appropriate state of federal agency having jurisdiction in the premises a transcript of the proceedings and findings in any case in which the court of competent jurisdiction or the commission has, after hearing, found that any person has unlawfully discriminated.
(10) Adopt and promulgate, pursuant to Chapter 14 of Minnesota Statutes, suitable rules and regulations for effectuating the purposes of this title. The procedure for adopting, amending, suspending or revoking rules shall be in the following manner.
The commission shall hold a public hearing affording all interested parties an opportunity to participate; thirty (30) days' prior notice to the hearing shall be published once in the STAR TRIBUNE newspaper and once in two (2) minority newspapers; free copies of the proposed rule shall be available to the public at the Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights; a tape recording of other transcription of the public hearing shall be made; after allowing written material to be submitted to the commission for twenty (20) days after the public hearing ends the commissions shall meet to consider and take action; if the commission adopts the rule, it shall be submitted with the tape recording or other transcription of the public hearing to the city attorney who shall review the rule as to form and legality. The city attorney shall, within twenty (20) days, either approve of disapprove the rule. If the city approves the rule, the city attorney shall promptly forward it to the city council for its approval, disapproval, amendment or referral back to the commission for further consideration; the city council shall so act within thirty (30) says of the referral from the city attorney; a rule approved of amended by the city council shall be filed in the office of the city clerk and shall be effective upon publication unless a later date is specified in the rule; if the city attorney disapproves the city attorney shall state in writing the reason therefore and return the proposed rule to the commission. When the director has submitted to the commission any suggested rule of regulation which the commission, after six (6) months has not acted upon, the commission shall hold a public hearing and pass a resolution to either commence the procedures set out in this subdivision or refuse the suggested rule or regulation. (Ord. of 12-30-75, Sec. 7; 76-Or-172, 043, Sec. 1, 3-30-84; Pet. No 249821, Sec. 3, 7-14/89; 93-Or-133, Sec. 1, 8-27-93; 95-Or-164, Sec. 1, 12-29-95)
Last updated Nov 15, 2011