Minneapolis Charter Commission
There are fifteen Charter Commissioners appointed by the Chief Judge of the Hennepin County District Court to four-year terms. Commissioners may request to be reappointed for additional four-year terms. Members must be qualified voters in the City of Minneapolis. Members of the judiciary are not eligible for appointment.
The City uses the Open Appointments process to receive applications to be forwarded to the Chief Judge.
The Charter Commission adopts rules governing its operation. Commission officers include a Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary elected in January for a one-year term. The Commission meets monthly and files an annual report with the District Court.
The Commission reviews and formulates Charter proposals. To accomplish this they solicit ideas from citizens, city staff and elected officials.
Plain Language Charter Revision
- Plain Language Charter - Final Version
- Side-by-Side Comparison - Successor Provisions to Source Provisions
- Side-by-Side Comparison - Source Provisions to Successor Provisions
- Plain Language Charter - Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ's About the Plain Language Charter
2011 – 2012 Minneapolis Redistricting Information
- Redistricting Website
- Redistricting City Charter Language
- Redistricting Principles as approved May 4, 2011
- Procedural Rules for the Redistricting Group (Adopted March 2, 2011)
2011 – 2012 Redistricting Advisory Group
Jay Bad Heart Bull
Denny (DJ) Heinle
Learn more by watching this short redistricting video
Last updated Jan. 8, 2014