Minneapolis Public Works color.png

University Ave SE/4th St SE Protected Bikeway Study



Project Details


Project Overview:

The City of Minneapolis, Hennepin County, and MnDOT are evaluating ways to install a protected bikeway along University Avenue SE and/or 4th Street SE between Central Avenue SE and Oak Street SE. This is one of the busiest street locations for biking in the city and the Minneapolis Bicycle Master Plan identifies a future protected bikeway along this corridor. A protected bikeway will provide physical separation between bicycle traffic and motor vehicle traffic. 

The purpose of the study is to evaluate different protected bikeway alternatives, understand related impacts and opportunities along the corridor, and identify a preferred configuration that could be installed in coordination with street maintenance projects programmed in 2018 and 2019.

Two primary alternatives are being explored:




Project Documents
Project Fact Sheet - Updated 1/13/17

Stakeholder Group Meetings 

4/4/17 Meeting Materials - Updated 4/10/17

Other Meetings

9/22/16 University District Alliance

10/1/16 University Open Streets

11/4/16 Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition Stakeholder Group

1/17/17 Minneapolis Bicycle Advisory Committee

2/6/17 Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition Stakeholder Group

2/27/17 Hennepin County Bicycle Advisory Committee

3/23/17 Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association Transportation Committee

Project Updates

Future updates will be posted here.



Simon Blenski, City of Minneapolis, 612-673-5012 or simon.blenski@minneapolismn.gov 

Bob Byers, Hennepin County, 612-596-0354 or robert.byers@hennepin.us

Mackenzie Turner Bargen, MnDOT, 651-234-7879 or mackenzie.turnerbargen@state.mn.us


(Note: Project information may change due to scheduling, weather, or other factors outside of our control. Listings will be updated as new information becomes available.) Citizens concerned with pedestrian access during construction should contact the project manager directly.

Last updated Apr 10, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32