University Ave SE/4th St SE Protected Bikeway Study
The City of Minneapolis, Hennepin County, and MnDOT are evaluating ways to install a protected bikeway along University Avenue SE and/or 4th Street SE between Central Avenue SE and Oak Street SE. This is one of the busiest street locations for biking in the city and the Minneapolis Bicycle Master Plan identifies a future protected bikeway along this corridor. A protected bikeway will provide physical separation between bicycle traffic and motor vehicle traffic.
The purpose of the study is to evaluate different protected bikeway alternatives, understand related impacts and opportunities along the corridor, and identify a preferred configuration that could be installed in coordination with street maintenance projects programmed in 2018 and 2019.
Two primary alternatives are being explored:
- A two-way protected bikeway on the south side of University Avenue SE (campus side), or
- A one-way protected bikeway on both University Avenue SE and 4th Street SE
- Fall 2016: Document existing conditions
- Winter/Spring 2017: Evaluate bikeway alternatives, seek community feedback
- Summer 2017: Identify preferred alternative
- 2018-2019: Potential bikeway installation with programmed street maintenance
Project Fact Sheet - Updated 1/13/17
Future updates will be posted here.
Simon Blenski, City of Minneapolis, 612-673-5012 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Bob Byers, Hennepin County, 612-596-0354 or email@example.com
Mackenzie Turner Bargen, MnDOT, 651-234-7879 or firstname.lastname@example.org
(Note: Project information may change due to scheduling, weather, or other factors outside of our control. Listings will be updated as new information becomes available.) Citizens concerned with pedestrian access during construction should contact the project manager directly.
Last updated Jan 13, 2017