5th Street NE & SE
Bicycle boulevard and on-street bicycle lanes
5th Street SE th Avenue SE to Central Avenue
5th Street NE th Avenue NE
26th Avenue NE th Street NE to University Avenue NE
University Avenue NE – 26th Avenue NE to 27th Avenue NE
Construction Start Date
Lane changes on 5th Street will include the addition of bike lanes between 2nd Avenue SE and 6th Avenue NE. Bicycle boulevard pavement markings and signs will be added to the street between 8th Avenue SE and Central Avenue, as well as between 6th Avenue NE and 26th Avenue NE. 26th Avenue NE between 5th St and University Ave will also have bicycle boulevard markings and signs.
Striping including bicycle stencils, will be in epoxy paint.
Parking changes will take place on 5th Street NE between 3rd Avenue NE and Spring Street NE. Parking will be removed on the east side.
Curb and pavement changes will take place at six locations:
- At 5th Street NE and Broadway,
- At 5th Street NE and 15th Avenue NE
- At 5th Street NE and 17th Avenue NE
- At 5th Street NE and 22nd Avenue NE th Street NE. The north-south stop signs will be removed.
- At 26th Avenue NE and 4th Street NE th Street NE in front of the apartment building on the southwest corner of the intersection.
- At University Avenue NE and 26½ Street NE th and 26 ½ Streets.
Innovation will be included in five ways on the project.
- Bicycle detection at a stoplight will be installed at the intersection of 5th Street with Hennepin and Central Avenues.
- "Bicycles May Use Full Lane" signs will be placed on the downhill sides of 5th Street NE between 1st Avenue NE and 3rd Avenue NE.
- Bicyclists will be allowed to travel in both directions on 5th Street NE between 8th and 9th Avenues NE, where the street is 1-way for motorists.
- Bicycle signals will be mounted at a new stoplight at the intersection of 5th Street NE and Broadway. This treatment was granted experimental approval from the FHWA (pdf). For more details read the City’s request to experiment (pdf).
- A bicycle counter will be buried in the pavement at the traffic diverter pass through at the intersection of 5th Street NE and Broadway.
Bike racks will be installed at four locations (pdf).
October 3, 2011
Construction on the project began in June. Curb, pavement, and landscaping changes are now complete on 5th Street at Broadway Street, 15th Avenue, 17th Avenue, and 22nd Avenue. Changes are also complete at the intersections of 4th Street & 26th Avenue, as well as at University Avenue & 26 ½ Avenue. Pavement markings have also been installed along the length of the route. The bicycle stoplight at 5th and Broadway is currently under construction. Most signing changes will take place over the coming months.
A grand opening and ribbon cutting will take place Thursday, October 6th at 4pm. Meet at Holmes Park on 5th Street SE between 2nd and 4th Avenues SE. For more details visit the project opening website.
August 29, 2010
The project layout for the 5th Street project was approved by the Minneapolis City Council on May 28th. A map of the project (pdf) illustrates the major changes which were approved. Prior to the City Council meeting, localized flyers were distributed for traffic circle construction (pdf) at 15th and 17th Avenues, as well as street narrowing at 22nd Avenue, and alley routing (pdf) on University Avenue. Presentations were also made to local neighborhood organizations.
The final detailed plans (pdf) have been approved by City, County, and MnDOT staff. The Federal Highway Administration has given approval for the project to move forward. The project is now being advertised to contractors for their bids. Construction is expected to begin in 2011.
February 26, 2010
A public feedback summary (pdf) is available.
January 29, 2010
Public Works is hosting a public meeting (pdf) on Wednesday, February 10th to present the draft proposal for the 5th Street Bicycle Boulevard (pdf) ballot (pdf) will be distributed at the meeting. Flyers are being left at properties along the entire corridor, except for 5th Street between 2nd Avenue SE and 3rd Avenue NE.
Parking removal is being explored on 5th Street NE between Washington Street NE and 3rd Avenue NE, on the east side, next to St Anthony Park and Webster School. View the special flyer (pdf) for this section of 5th Street.
October 23, 2009
Minneapolis Public Works is beginning the process of creating preliminary designs for 5th Street project. A bicycle boulevard planning tour will be held on Tuesday, November 3rd between 10:00 am to 2:30 pm.
If you are interested in attending, please contact Shaun Murphy at [email protected] or 612.333.2450 to receive more details. Please leave your e-mail address and a phone number. Residents, neighborhood organizers, bicyclists, and motorists are all invited to participate.
Last updated Mar 16, 2012