City Assessor's Office

City of Lakes Building
309 2nd Ave. S., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Call 311 or (612) 673-3000
Fax (612) 673-3538

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday

The Property Assessment Appeals Process

What are my options if I disagree with my property tax assessment?

Review the Value Notice that you receive during the first quarter of every year. If you do not agree with the property's valuation or classification you have several methods of appeal available to you. The methods of appeal are summarized in the flowchart below.

Discuss your concerns with the City of Minneapolis Assessor's Staff;
            Review the methods and calculations used to determine your property value,
            Review the property's characteristics and any changes during the past year,
            Review the sales in your area and local market trends,
            Discuss options and further steps with the Assessor's staff,
            If you and the Assessor's staff still do not agree, continue below.
Appeal directly to Minnesota Tax CourtThree Levels of Review to Settle an Appeal
Appeal to the City of Minneapolis Board of Appeal and Equalization;
            The Board meets in April or May, call the Minneapolis City Clerk's office for an application and appointment,
            Appeal in person, by letter or designated representative,
            If you still do not feel your concerns are addressed you may next appeal to the Hennepin County Board of Equalization.
Appeal to the Hennepin County Board of Appeal and Equalization;
            You must first appeal to the Minneapolis Board of Appeal,
            The Hennepin County Board meets in June, call the Hennepin County Taxpayers Services at 612-348-3011 for an application and appointment.
            Appeal in person, by letter or designated representative.
            If you still do not feel your concerns are addressed you may next appeal at the Minnesota Tax Court.
Appeal in the Minnesota Tax Court;
            Appeals may be made until April 30 of the year when the taxes are payable.
            The Tax Court Court can be contacted at 651-296-2806. They will mail a packet of information about Tax Court and the forms needed for filing. There is a fee for filing.
            Please refer to Section 8610.0010 of the Minnesota Administrative Rules, subpart D, which addresses the requirement of “Representation” before the tax court in a regular division appeal.
Regular Division;
            Can be used for any property type,
            Must be used for property assessed over $300,000,
            Attorney is recommended,
            Decisions can be appealed to the Supreme Court.Small Claims Division;
            All Homestead property provided there is one dwelling unit per parcel per petition,
            Non homestead property values under $300,000,
            Attorney not necessary,
            Decisions are final.

Last updated Oct 19, 2011



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo