Minneapolis Animal Care & Control (MACC) is a full service shelter and adopted 1,408 animals to good homes last year (in 2010, we adopted 523). Please visit the shelter to view available animals, or find us on our Facebook Page -- Friends of Minneapolis Animal Care & Control.
It's EASY to Adopt a Shelter Pet
You are welcome to come to the animal shelter during our public adoption hours. Feel free to walk through our state-of-the-art facility, interact with the pets, take an adoptable dog into the Adoption Room for some quiet alone time. Or, spend some time in our Cat Room getting to know the feline.
When you have made the right choice in a pet for you or your family...
- Complete an application
- Pay adoption fee
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have current picture identification that shows your age and current address
- Spay or neuter the animal within 30 days of adoption for adult animals (longer for puppies/kittens)
- Purchase pet license (if you are a resident of the City of Minneapolis)
- Commit to behavior training, providing medical care, and giving humane treatment and companionship throughout the life of the animal
- Check your lease to be sure you can have pets and that there are no size, weight or breed limitations.
MACC reserves the right to deny any adoption application. MACC does not hold animals and adopts on a first come, first serve basis. No partial payments or down payments are accepted. Although all animals are given an exam prior to becoming available for adoption, MACC cannot guarantee that these animals have not been exposed to an illness prior to coming to our shelter.
Adoption Fees for Cats and Dogs
The adoption fee for dogs/puppies is $90.00 plus tax and $60.00 plus tax for cats/kittens. Minneapolis residents must license their pet at the time of adoption. Dogs are vaccinated for distemper and parvo-virus; cats are vaccinated for feline distemper. Both dogs and cats are given a single dose of worming medication.
Kit and Kat - adopted from MACC May 2011
Adoption Fees for Small Pets
We often have animals other than dogs and cats available for adoption, including rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, birds and fish. Adoption fees for small animals range from $3 to $50.
In addition to our adoption program, MACC works with several rescue groups to rehome animals that are not quite ready for adoption. Contact any of the rescue groups for available adoptable animals.
Last updated Dec. 7, 2012