What We Do
The Minneapolis City Planning Commission generally meets twice a month and is charged with hearing and deciding applications for land use reviews, including site plan review, conditional use permits, changes or expansions of a nonconforming use, variances, and land subdivisions. In addition, the Planning Commission makes recommendations to the city council on planning decisions, including proposed rezonings, street and alley vacations, public land sales, zoning code text amendments, and amendments to the comprehensive plan. Please see section 525.100 of the Code of Ordinances for the Planning Commission’s powers and duties.
Committee of the Whole
The Planning Commission also meets the Thursday following a public hearing in a forum called Committee of the Whole. This meeting is designed to give City staff and applicants the chance to discuss proposals in an official forum outside of the public hearing process. A typical Committee of the Whole agenda may include any of the following:
- Public land sales. The Planning Commission takes action to determine if a land sale or purchase proposed by the City is consistent with the Comprehensive Plan.
- Project reviews. Staff and applicants present information related to an upcoming public hearing item for Planning Commission discussion.
- Major plans or zoning code text amendments. Staff presents information that will help Commissioners understand the item, and Commissioners often give guidance on elements that may need further consideration.
The Committee of the Whole submittal guidelines are available online.
Meeting Calendar, Agendas, and Actions
The Planning Commission meets on Mondays at 4:30 p.m. on the weeks of regularly scheduled City Council meetings at:
City Hall, Room 317
350 South 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415
All public hearing items are subject to a ten-day appeal period after the Planning Commission meeting. Items that are appealed go before the Zoning & Planning Committee of the City Council. Planning Commission decisions that may not be appealed include street and alley vacations, rezonings, amendments to the Zoning Code, 40 Acre Studies, and amendments to the Comprehensive Plan, which are forwarded to the Zoning and Planning Committee and City Council for final approval.
City Planning Commission Members
The Planning Commission consists of ten persons, as follows:
- The Mayor (or designee);
- A member of each of the following:
- Hennepin County Commission Representative
- City Council Representative
- City Council Appointee
- School Board
- Park Board
- Four legal voters of the municipality (not members of any of the above bodies or boards) appointed by the Mayor, with the approval of the City Council.
Current City Planning Commission Public Roster (pdf) - If you are interested in serving, please see the list of current openings and the Boards & Commissions website for additional information.
Last updated Jun 8, 2016