What you should know
Water is more likely to absorb the lead from your plumbing if it sits for several hours.
- If you haven't run water through your faucet for several hours, you should:
- Let the cold-water faucet run until you feel that the water is as cold as it will get
- Run the water for 2 -3 minutes if you have a lead waterline
- Hot water dissolves lead faster than cold water.
- If you need hot water, heat it after it comes out of the faucet.
- Use only cold water for drinking, cooking and baby formula.
- You do not have to worry about lead in water you use for:
- Flushing the toilet
- Running your dishwasher
- Watering plants