Reclaim your gun
We explain how to get your gun or other firearm back from the police.
- To get your firearm back, you must clear a background investigation.
- To start your background check, call the Firearm Release Hotline.
- After the police clear you to begin a background check, we will contact you about forms and instructions.
- After you pass your background check, we will contact you to make an appointment to claim your firearm.
How to pick up your gun or firearm
- Appointment: You must have an appointment to pick up your firearm. The Police Property and Evidence Unit will contact you to make an appointment.
- Valid ID: You must present a valid Minnesota driver's license or Minnesota state identification card. We do not accept any other identification.
- Out of state: We ship only to law enforcement agencies. If you are from out of state, you must contact your local law enforcement agency to arrange shipment.
Firearm Release Hotline
Minneapolis Police Department