The Minneapolis Fire Department is responding to a fire in the 2800 block of North Pacific Street. The Minneapolis Health Department has been getting questions about air pollution from fires. Know first that poor air quality from fires typically clears up once the fires are out.
Fires make air pollution worse and can be dangerous to those with respiratory conditions.
To protect yourself when the air quality is bad:
- Keep windows and doors closed.
- Don’t exercise outdoors.
- Wear a mask (but understand it doesn’t fully protect you).
- When driving, recirculate the air in your car and keep your windows closed.
- Stay hydrated.
- Once inside, change your clothes and take a quick shower to remove any air particulates that collected on you during the day.
- Vacuum often.
- Don’t contribute further by burning wood, and never burn trash because the smoke can be toxic.
View current air quality conditions from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.