Residents should create an all-hazards plan. All-hazards means learning to how to protect yourself, your family and your business during and after a disaster. This could include a tornado, transportation accident, snowstorm, civil disorder and more.
- Create a plan and emergency kit.
- You should be prepared to either shelter in place or evacuate, depending on the circumstances.
- You should plan for disruptions to normal services for up to 72 hours.
- Create a communication plan.
- Document and insure your property.
- Know how to receive and understand alerts and warnings.
- Take steps to safeguard documents and valuables.
- Conduct a home security review and make any recommended improvements.
- Know and practice alternate routes to and from key locations.
- Review insurance coverage with your insurance agent.