Critical parking permits, including visitor and service permits, are valid for one year from the date of purchase. Additional temporary permits are valid for one to 30 days, depending on the type purchased.
Critical parking permits
I want to
How critical parking permits work
You can apply for a critical parking permit if you
- Live in the critical parking area
- Have a business or rental property in the critical parking area
When and where you can use permits
- On streets signed as permit only
- During the times listed on signs
- In the relevant critical parking area
You can use the permit for motorcycles, but it's illegal to use them for
- Commercial vehicles
- Taxis or cabs
- Recreational vehicles
You must still follow
Visitor and service permits
Visitor and service permit restrictions
If you live in a critical parking area, you can buy permits for visitors or service personnel except in areas 7,9 and 10.
Residents are limited to 1 visitor permit and 1 service permit, but authenticated residents can also purchase temporary permits for anywhere from one to 30 days, up to a cap of 50 per year. Some critical parking areas have additional limitations, so check with Parking Services to see what's available in your area.
Businesses are limited to 2 permits, of any type, per unique address within each critical parking area.
Visitor and service permit rules
- Permits must be assigned to a specific vehicle. To reassign a permit, update it by:
- Logging in to the critical parking permitting site
- Calling 877-817-3745 (available 24/7)
- You may not resell permits.
- Visitor and service permits are optional, but vehicles without permits must follow posted parking restrictions.
- Only one vehicle may be assigned to a permit at any given time.
You may have off-street parking for yourselves, but need street parking for guests. You can buy visitor and service permits even if you don't buy a permit for yourself.
Permit fees and quantities
|Permit type||Fee||Valid for|
|New or renewal||$25||1 calendar year|
|Visitor||$10||1 calendar year|
|Service||$10||1 calendar year|
|Temporary (2-30 days)||$5||2 to 30 days|
|Temporary (1 day)||$2||1 day|
An additional $10 setup fee applies during the first year of a critical parking area.
To buy any of these permits, visit the critical parking permitting site
The site accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express. For information on paying by cash or check, please see the critical parking permit application.
Number of permits allowed
- Critical parking permits: 2 per licensed resident or business owner
- Visitor permit: 1 per residence
- Service permit: 1 per residence
Critical parking area designation
We'll consider establishing a critical parking area if
The area has high traffic with regular visitors to businesses and facilities
There's not enough street parking near residents' homes
There's a lot of vehicle noise, pollution and congestion
The designation would improve resident safety and well-being and create a more attractive, livable neighborhood
For more information, see Minneapolis Ordinance (Title 18, Chapter 478)
Frequently asked questions
Permits are valid only on the streets and during the times indicated by signs in the critical parking area. Find your area on the critical parking area map and look for the streets with bold lines.
- A permit does not guarantee or reserve a parking space for you.
- You still have to follow City parking ordinances and restrictions. This includes snow emergencies and street sweeping.
Your license plate number now serves as your permit. You no longer need to place an orange sticker on your bumper. Visitors no longer need to use dashboard placards. It is very important to make sure your permits have the current license plate numbers, including the state, of your permitted vehicles.
You can transfer your permit to the temporary vehicle on the critical parking permitting site. Enter the temporary vehicle's information, including the license plate number. Assign that new vehicle to the desired permit.
Direct Permit Assistance
Available 24/7, 365 days/year
Address33 Ninth St. N.Room 100Minneapolis, MN 55403
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday