The primary function of Zoning Administration in the city is to enforce the regulations of the City’s Zoning Code. This includes providing information on zoning regulations, reviewing documents and plans for compliance, and assisting applicants with requests for land use reviews such as variances and rezonings.
The Minneapolis Zoning Code is a primary tool used to implement the policies of the City's Comprehensive Plan in a manner that protects the health, safety and general welfare of the citizens of Minneapolis. Generally speaking, zoning is the division of a jurisdiction by legislative regulations into areas (zones), specifying the uses allowable for the property in these areas and limitations on these uses. Every property within the city has an established zoning district classification that appears on the zoning map.
The City's zoning code is contained in Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Title 20. It consists of zoning regulations and a zoning map:
- The zoning regulations govern the administration of the ordinance and specify the uses allowed and development standards for each zoning district.
- Zoning maps are available on this website, and show the location of each zoning district.
- Full text of zoning code (Municode site)
- Land Use and Zoning Overview (pdf)
- Zoning code overview
- Zoning district overview
- Zoning maps
- Contact zoning office
- Zoning approval
- Zoning Code Text Amendments (pdf)
- Zoning Handouts and Applications
Last updated Jan 26, 2015