City Council Committee Appointments
Diane has been appointed to serve on several City Council Standing Committees. Different City departments report to the Council through an assigned standing committee. Committee recommendations are then forwarded to the full Council for consideration.
Audit - Chair
The Audit Committee is responsible for the oversight of the City's internal audit function, financial reporting practices, internal controls, compliance with applicable law and regulation relating to financial controls and other related matters.
The Elections Committee sets dates for primary and general elections, determines opening and closing dates for candidate filing, designates precinct boundaries and polling places and appoints election judges.
After the primary and general elections, the election returns are canvassed by this committee.
Public Safety, Civil Right & Health (PSC&H)
- Set policy for the Police and Fire Departments, the Department of Health & Family support, and the Department of Civil Rights.
- Considers public health, safety and social service programs for the City.
- Strives for equity and wellness in people, youth families and community, including youth violence prevention initiatives.
- Makes appointments to boards and commissions: Civilian Police Review Authority; Civil Rights Commission; Public Health Advisory Committee; Senior Citizen Advisory Committee to the Mayor and City Council; and Youth Violence Prevention Executive Committee.
Regulatory, Energy & Environment (REE)
- Develop and champion policies, programs and initiatives that promote a sustainable city.
- Oversee the sustainability indicators to insure that the indicators are integrated into the business plans of all city departments.
- Make appointments to various boards and commissions.
- Considers license applications for business, liquor, beer and wine, gambling and rental dwellings.
- Makes recommendations about condemned buildings under Chapter 249 of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances.
- Sets policy for the Department of Regulatory Services and Energy and Environment issues.
The Rules Committee considers matters relating to the City Council Rules.
The Taxes Committee reviews and approved recommendations of the Minneapolis Board of Appeal and Equalization on the City Assessors property valuations.
Vikings Stadium Implementation Committee
The Stadium Implementation Committee is responsible for making recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council on planning, zoning and land use; to the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority on the exterior design of stadium, plaza and environs; and more broadly on the long-term planning and development vision for Downtown East, West Bank and the University area.
Ways & Means/Budget
The Ways & Means/Budget Committee determines the annual budget appropriations for structure, operation and organization for City departments. This committee considers lawsuit settlements; execution of contracts; and considers issuance of bonds. Personnel assignments, replacements, additions or reductions require approval from this committee.
This committee sets travel regulations and allocates funding for travel; authorizes solicitation or acceptance of funds and donations; considers acceptance of bids for goods and services; gives authority to apply for State or Federal grants; authorizes establishment of leasehold cooperatives; and submits certification to Hennepin County for taxes to be levied.
Last updated Aug. 9, 2012