Homegrown Minneapolis Food Council
Statement of Vision
The Homegrown Minneapolis Food Council envisions a vibrant local food system that enhances the health of all residents, protects the earth, increases economic vitality, expands social connectedness, and improves food security.
Statement of Mission
To continue to advance Homegrown Minneapolis, the Homegrown Minneapolis Food Council works to support all Minneapolis residents and increase access to quality food, address hunger and food insecurity, connect sectors of the food system, influence policy and decision making, and ensure an environmentally sustainable and socially just food system. To accomplish this, the food council:
- fosters City-community partnerships;
- convenes and engages diverse stakeholders to identify and propose innovative solutions to improve the local food system;
- provides ongoing guidance to the City on local food issues; and
- serves as a platform for collaborative, coordinated action.
Food Council Work Plan
The Food Council identified several working groups and task forces as priorities during 2014, informed by and continuing previous work and community input as well as emerging opportunities and concerns. Current 2014 working groups include Land Access, Local Food (fruit and vegetable) Aggregation/Distribution, Organics/Composting, Animals, and Community Outreach and Engagement. There is a current task force focused on the Staple Food Ordinance and a recent task force successfully worked with the City Council to allow for sales by mobile grocery stores. Food Council meetings include time for working groups to meet. The community is welcome and encouraged to attend monthly Food Council meetings. Additional work group meeting information will be posted soon.
The Food Council will hold its annual open house in December 2014, on a date and location to be decided soon.
Land Access and Urban Agriculture Working Group: The working group emerged from strategic planning done by the Homegrown Minneapolis Food Council in early 2013, which was informed by community input at the December 2012 stakeholder event and the work done during the first two phases of Homegrown. Its work will be continued in 2014 as one of several Food Council work groups and task forces.
Minneapolis Food Council 2014 Meeting Materials
Agendas, minutes, and other meeting materials are provided in PDF format.
- August 13, 2014 Agenda pending
- July 9, 2014 Agenda Minutes pending
- June 11, 2014 Agenda Minutes
- May 14, 2014: Agenda Minutes
- April 9, 2014: Agenda - Minutes
- March 12, 2014: Agenda - Minutes
- February 12, 2014: Agenda - Minutes
- January 15, 2014: Agenda - Minutes
- December 18, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- November 13, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- October 16, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- September 18, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- August 21, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- July 17, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- June 19, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- May 15, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- April 17, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- March 20, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- February 20, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
- January 16, 2013: Agenda - Minutes
Food Council Resources
Food Council Bylaws:
See more information on Food Council applications.
Past Food Council Meeting Materials
2013 Food Council Open House
In December 2013 the Homegrown Minneapolis Food Council hosted a community open house at The Walker Art Center. The event was attended by 300 local residents who discussed their ideas on activities of the Food Council and honored the Homegrown Minneapolis Heroes.
Last updated Jul 17, 2014